Before I begin my post – I would like to extend a big Thank you to the Team at Boeing and Philippine Airlines for inviting me to their special event at the Four Seasons Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills. Philippine Airlines has reached a new milestone in their career within the aviation industry with the help and masterminds of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. Something I truly enjoy is attending a variety of events in which I am able to see the evolution being made within the travel industry and also seeing what aircrafts are retiring and of course what aircraft will be joining the fleet. On Today’s blog post I will be sharing with you all the latest news about Philippine Airlines and also sharing my experience at the event.
Upon my arrival to the venue – I entered the hotel and made my way to the Ballroom floor where the event was being held and the following signs were placed by the entrance. At this time – I still didn’t know exactly what was Philippine Airlines next move – I just knew “something big was happening” 😉
Before entering the venue:
Once I cleared the doors – Thats where the fun began – As Philippine Airlines executives, representatives, and flight attedants were on the floor getting things ready for the event – I arrived fairly early which allowed me to meet several of the crew and get my badge for the event. Keep in mind this was a private event by invite only – so picking up my badge was the number one thing to do upon my arrival.
Shortly after meeting the Flight crew – I started to walk around the venue while taking several photos and meeting a few executives of Philippine Airlines as I get to know their mission and approach into the aviation industry. As I was roaming around the ballroom floor, they had an open bar featuring their home town signature beer, I thought that was a nice touch – since I was able to try something new that I haven’t had before. The vibe of the venue was setting in as the guests arrived, shortly after I made my way to the bar to try their signature beer as the Philippine Airlines executives wanted to know my opinion and thoughts on their beer, so I went ahead and selected “Miguel Light” which was only 5% alcohol 😉
After enjoying a refreshment – It was time to get to work. I will be discussing some of the key information that I think it’s worth sharing and of course the latest news that Mr Ramon S Ang discussed, and for those who don’t know he is, he is the President and C.O.O for Philippine Airlines. We proceeded to the ballroom show floor where the press conference was being held, where Philippine Airlines executives, Boeing Executives and G.E representatives were sharing their thoughts on their latest project with Philippine Airlines.
One of the biggest news from Philippine Airlines is the following
- They will replace their 747-400 with the newest member of the fleet which is the 777-300ER (Extended Range).
- The newest aircraft will feature a Business Class cabin and Economy Class known as “Fiesta Class”.
- The “Fiesta Class” will be equipped with personalized in flight entertainment.
- The 777-300ER will also be equipped with inflight WI-FI internet.
- Business Class also known as the (Mabuhay Class) of the 777-300ER will feature the full lie flat seat.
- Gourmet cuisine for Business Class passengers will be served throughout the flight.
- Another great milestone for Philippine Airlines they are now Category 1 – After 6 years of being limited to expanding services in the United States due to Safety concerns. Now, Philippine carriers are allowed more flights to the US after FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) restored their category 1 status.
Now that I have covered some of the major points and news from Philippine Airlines – I will be discussing my thoughts and will also share some of the facts that the executives explained during the press conference. This Boeing 777-300 will have two class service. The range of the aircraft will be 7,825 nautical miles which is equivalent to (14,490 km). It is a twin isle configuration. GE representative shared key facts about this new aircraft engine and this heavy is powered by the GE90-115BL with (115,300LB thrust). Before they considered bringing this new aircraft into the fleet, they were using the Boeing 747-400 considered the Queen of The Skies, but for them its been tough to provide non-stop service as this particular aircraft its not fuel efficient – that will make things easier for the passengers to avoid any technical stops at HNL, Tokyo or Guam. The Boeing 777-300ER is 25% more efficient as well and this will also replace their current A340 that it’s currently being used at LAX. The changes being made on the fleet and now adding the 777-300ER will make things more convinient for the travelers by now being able to travel from the West Coast to Manila on a non-stop service. Three key words throughout the presentation caught my attention.
Visuals of Mabuhay (Business) and Fiesta Class (Economy):
- The entire cabin of the new B777-300ERs is equipped with Panasonic eX2 Inflight Entertainment System.
- Each passenger seat is outfited with personal TV and Audio/Video On-Demand AVOD feature.
- The configuration of the cabin is 2-3-2.
- Seating details: 78 inch pitch and 20 width.
- The selections includes 18 of the latest Hollywood movies, a Filipino film, 8 popular TV programs, 12 radio channels and a selection of CD albums.
- On-screen instructions are available in English, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
- The seats are adjustable to a variety of the positions at the passenger’s option. Each seat is equipped with its own programmable position controls with memory, individual directional LED reading light, oversized tray table and bottle holder.
- The Fiesta Class Passengers benefit from the new seats from Weber which features an actuating seat pan that enables the seat bottom cushion to be moved up or forward to support the body when relaxing.
- Each passenger can also create his own audio playlist from the collection of CD albums.
- Each seat is outfitted with personal TV, 9-inch seatback-mounted monitors and in-arm monitors, with AVOD (Audio Video on Demand).
- Seating Details: 33 inch Pitch and 18.5 width
First thing first, Congratulations to Philippine Airlines on this new chapter – I am very excited to see how this service does for them and the feedback that this new product will get. I have never been to the Philippines or any of their beautiful islands, so perhaps down the road I will be able to try their Business Class cabin to experience what they offer for their passengers and see how their customer service compares to the rest of the Asian carries I’ve flown in the past. The Boeing Crew, GE representatives were very excited for this new milestone achieved and so were the Philippine Airlines executives. As the event was coming to a close – I was able to exchange a few words with the President and wished him well on his new product and service.
Philippine Airlines President & myself after the event: